Friday, January 15, 2010

Christmas Projects

Well now that Christmas has passed, I can post about the projects which became gifts. It was so hard to keep them a secret before Christmas! I know you are all DYING to know what I was making after I posted a picture of the fabrics. Haha! My brother was disappointed that he didn't get a spelling bee blankie!

I found the cutest pattern for a Toddler Backpack on Made by Rae's website. I can't remember how I got there, now, but it was well worth it! I think I bought the pattern nearly as soon as I saw it! I decided to make one for Ainsley and one for her cousin Drew for Christmas. Here's Ainsley's, but I don't have any pictures of Drew's. Silly me, I forgot to take pictures before packaging it up!

The pattern was pretty simple to follow, although I am glad that I made Ainsley's first. I always do better on the second try than the first. I did discover that she's right when she said that you should use a medium to heavyweight fabric or it won't hold its shape. I only used a lightweight fabric for Ainsley's and it sure doesn't stand up on its own very well. For Drew's I used interfacing to give it some structure and that helped immensely! And even though I don't have pictures of it, I have to show you the fabric I found because it is just TOO cute! I saw it on Whipstitch Fabrics, my new favorite place to find fun fabrics.

Alexander Henry: Traffic Jam in Blue (from Whipstitch Fabrics)


My second project was to make matching child aprons for Ainsley and her friend Sanaa. Also on Whipstitch Fabrics, I found the perfect apron material - Metro Market Apples in Red. I was SO excited when my package of material arrived in the mail! I made up my own pattern for the aprons and I think they turned out pretty well. I think the neck strap may be a little long on Sanaa's and I think both have too long of a torso section. But overall, I'm happy with the finished product.


My third project for Christmas was a purse for my sister Kendra. Of course I had to make a practice one for myself (and I LOVE it!). I found the FREE pattern for this purse on Made by Rae's site, too. She calls it the Buttercup Bag. Here are some pictures of Kendra's I thought it would be the perfect little purse to take to her sorority formals and other dressy affairs.



1 comment:

Kendra said...

and I absolutely LOOOVVVEEEE my purse!!!! :D