Saturday, April 24, 2010

1 hat, 2 hats...

Awhile ago I found a shop on Etsy called Mani Mina and I love her clothing patterns for children. Impulsively, I bought her Reversible Child Hat Pattern, and thought it has taken me nearly a year to use it, I have no regrets. It's a great pattern. I had one small snafu with it - the first time I printed the pattern pieces, something got messed up, although I didn't know it. That is, until I tried it on Ainsley and it didn't fit!! I was so bummed. I was so proud of myself for getting a thrift store women's jacket and men's dress shirt to use for the hat, and it turned out so cute. Oh well - perhaps for another child down the road...(no, we're not expecting!)

A couple weeks ago, I picked up some cute fabric at Joann's for another go at the hat. This time the pattern printed differently and that's when I realized what went wrong with the first! I was so glad that this one fit her!! Here we come Summer!!

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

only a few days left!

Remember to stop by my shop, The Littlest Daisy, and check out the Spring Sale! Buy any 2 items, get a third (of equal or lesser value to one item) FREE! Sale ends at midnight on April 30th!

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Old to New: Ironing Board Cover

My ironing board must be nearly vintage. No, it's not that old, but it - or at least its cover - has seen better days. I bought it at a garage sale the summer before Heath and I were married. I always meant to get a new cover for it because even then it was well worn and faded, but thought registering for one was not at all romantic. So, I never got around to getting one. And it has been looking very sad lately and getting worse and worse. It developed a small hole which I managed to make bigger nearly every time I used the board. See, I use my ironing board for much more than ironing when I am sewing. It turns into my table, too. As I would cut out material, my scissors began snagging the tiny hole and making it ever larger. To make matters worse, during my Onesie Project, I accidentally ironed some adhesive onto the cover. So now part of the cover was unusable as everything stuck to it. Here are some pictures of my well worn, discolored, holey ironing board cover.

All of this is why I desperately needed to either make myself a new cover or buy one. I was in the mood last night to make one, so I tried out this Ironing Board Cover Tutorial by Sew4Home. I only used one kind of fabric, rather than the two they suggested, which made my cover much less complicated to make. I like the simpler look, too. Two fabrics would have been too busy for my taste. I also like that it matches my new sewing machine cover. So someday if I have a sewing room/space, they'll look so nice together!

Monday, April 12, 2010

our new nephew

We have a new nephew! Cade Joseph was born a couple weeks ago, and we are so looking forward to meeting him in May!!

One evening last week, I made these cute onesies for him. It was so fun! I think I may have found a new craft love. It's really pretty simple - all you need is Heat n Bond (I got mine at JoAnn's), some fabric scraps, scissors, and an iron.