Thursday, September 27, 2007

rainbows and patience

I wasn't feeling particularly happy when I set out for the drive to work this morning. Neither was I all that sad or angry. I was just BLAH.

All that changed as I drove down a less crowded than usual highway. I looked up and saw a tiny sliver of a rainbow, peeking through the clouds, its beauty enhanced by the brilliant sunlight. It was like a sigh of relief to my soul as I remembered the famous words:

"Never again will I curse the ground because of human beings, even though every inclination of the human heart is evil from childhood. And never again will I destroy all living creatures, as I have done. I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant betwen me and the earth."

This God, who has the ability to crush the entire earth in his hands, has promised to be patient with all of us perverse humans, at least for a while longer. Now that is worth some celebrating!

No comments: